Saturday 8 January 2011

Day 2 post Op.....

Well that was a slightly smoother night, they seemed to leave him settled more and he slept for longer periods – which was good for me too.
He still liked to be turned frequently and found it rather uncomfortable, but once turned he soon settled.  He has be a bit tearful as have I, not having Damian around has made the last 24 hours a lot harder then I think it could have been, but that’s life so let’s move forward.
As the sun rose we woke at about 6:55am and another Doctor came in and said all was going well and they would be reducing his meds today – a thought I was not looking forward to as I could not think that he would ever be ready to have less medication, but they know what they are doing.




Today’s nurse was Rachel who again was very nice and could not do more for Ben or me for that matter.  Ben was getting more and more frustrated this morning and every time we move him he would say he hated me and why did I make him have the operation, which of course reduced me to tears.  I know he is only aiming it at me as that what you do to the one’s you love.  It did however make me think have we really done the right thing for him, this is a major operations, but how can we not have done this – we have not only spoken to we have met children who have had SDR & they all said it was worth it – I know it will....
Damian rang to say both he & Jacob we loads better – which was music to my ears so we decided to he would come and take over and do the night shift.
Ben was alright most of the morning he is a lot more awake chatting and tells me off – he even managed to speak to a few family members through Skype.
I stayed with Ben until around 11am when Damian & Jacob we ready to swop.
Ben was not happy about this but I explain we both needed some time apart & Daddy would be just as good as mummy,  He agreed.
So we swopped and I came back and showered got changed and had some food & played some games with Jacob.  We later went to let Damian have some tea and Jacob got to see Ben for a few minutes, which they both enjoyed.  Rachel, Ben’s nurse told me he had managed to roll himself twice since I had left, which I was thrilled to hear.
Then it was a tearful good bye and off we went.
Today has been really hard for both Ben & I, here’s hoping that tomorrow Ben feels less pain and is able to sit up comfortably.

Charlotte x

1 comment:

  1. He is doing so well. You will not believe how much easier it gets over the coming days. Still some challenges - lying flat and first time out of bed/ physic, but if you look back these challenges are small compared with what you've been through. Stay strong. Evan sends big hugs. Paula, Steve and Evan Hansen.

    ReplyDelete