Saturday 26 February 2011

Half Term......

Highlight of Saturday night – Ben was stood next to some of his class mates and he is taller than a few of them now, he has hated being the smallest in his year group.

Sunday 20th Feb
Ben & Damian went swimming today – the first time since his Op, they took his life jacket.  On his return he was so excited not only had he been in the big pool but he did not use or need his jacket.
He did tell ‘I feel normal mummy, you know back to how I was before’.  This was lovely to hear as he did find it hard last week.  The rest of the day was just chilling out playing games and a small bit of physio as it is his day off.

Monday 21st Feb – Auntie Katie & Uncle Adams Wedding Day!!!
It was our first day off together and what a miserable day it is too.  Thought we might manage to get out for a walk!! Oh no mother nature had her own ideas...  My sister was coming to play with my nephews but other than that the day was free.  We managed a few stretches before they came & his tried hard with them and didn’t moan much!  We agreed we would finish off after they had gone home.  Ben decided today walk bare flat footed he took about 10 steps.  I think something has finally clicked & he feels a lot more comfortable and what’s more – more confident.

Tuesday 22nd Feb
Physio was changed today to early morning leaving the day free.  Ben had struggled last week so I had a little chat with him before hand and made sure he was feed & watered as they is often one of his excuses!  But Ben behaved & worked so hard this morning – he makes me so proud to see him not only managing all his exercise but laughing and enjoying it.  The rest of the day was nothing exciting, we ventured out in the afternoon if only to stretch our legs, Ben managed about ½ a mile walking in town, and I was so pleased. 








Wednesday 23rd Feb
Today was full of visitors it was so nice to see friends & family.  Ben has started with a silly tickly cough I hope it don’t turning into something more!!  Physio today was with Anna but not till later in the afternoon. He worked so hard for her doing exercises I have never see him do before, I was very impressed.  She also taught me a few more to help me make his physio little more fun.


Thursday 24th Feb
Busy morning for us – first it was a visit to the CDC (Child Development Centre) for a video assessment.  Ben had one done before we went to the US, they are doing another now & then one 5/6months time.  They were really impressed with him, all his measurements had improved and some greatly.  He managed all the tasked they asked him to do but strangely he walked better bare foot than with his splints on!!!  Then it was a quick rush home to be there for Laura for physio.  Again Ben worked really hard and I have been shown even more new exercises to push Ben.  As I have to do Fridays & Saturdays physio sessions this week to I need a few tips & ideas to make it more fun for both of us!.  Grandma Linda & Grandad Rob arrived back from Kenya; the boys were so pleased to see them as we all were.  Not long now till we can celebrate Auntie Katie & Uncle Ad wedding too.



Friday 25th Feb
Last day of half term, loads of things we have not managed to do this week, but hey ho!!
Today it’s was over to me for physio – I had made an arrangement with Ben that we would break it up to 2 sessions, 30 minutes of stretches then 30 minutes of balancing/ walking practice.  I have also agreed (in a weakened moment) to giving him money incentives for good session, and so far they seem to be working.   I had friends calling round for a bit in the afternoon so that was nice & the boys took advantage of the nice weather & played outside for a while.  He managed to walk to Booths & back in the afternoon.  A lot of encouragement was needed as he seems to be finding it harder this week, but I guess we will have good weeks & bad weeks but he is still making great progress.

Saturday 26th Feb
Today we went to see Gnomeo & Juliet 3D, as we have a quiet week & they deserved a treat.  Ben has been walking well this week but he is finding it increasing uncomfortable to walk in his splint and walking better (his words) in bare feet.  We did his stretches before we left; I find it easier to break up his physio not only for him but for me as well.  Then we were off to Leeds.  Both boys love the movie as we did, when we got back it was time to finish off physio, 20 minutes on the treadmill, he only managed a speed of 0.6mph but it was great walking.  Then a few sit to stands & we were done. 
The rest of the day was chilling and finishing off any homework left to do as it’s back to school on Monday for all of us.  I will be going back after 10 weeks off, man is it going to be hard, at least it’s only mornings.  I think I will be able to just about manage that.

Charlotte xx  

No comments:

Post a Comment