Sunday 6 March 2011

Back to school & work - Eck!!!!

Sunday 27th Feb
Well today was a lovely day, we had a few visitors, Auntie Em & the boys, Auntie Nona & the girls.  It was so lovely to have a house full again all the children entertained themselves really. We decided to take a walk to the little park around the corner; Ben wanted to go in his sports wheelchair so I agreed.

Monday 28th Feb
Well the day has finally arrived it was time for me to go back to work.  I have however reduced my working hours, after the last few months I need some time to myself & also I want to be on hand for Ben in the afternoon if he needs me.  So it was up and get organised as quickly as we could, where does the time goes in a morning.  Ben was a very tired again this morning but as usual put his usual brave face on.  He is trying so hard to be calm & not get upset, as we all are.
Monday is my time for physio, Ben seems to manage his physio really well – I’m not denying it’s still a bumpy road but all in all he is really focused in his sessions as long as I let him know who & when it is in the morning.

Tuesday 1st March
By Tuesday Ben has dipped a bit and struggled with physio, but still managed to do all that was asked of him if a little slower.  The rest of the week was a bit of a blur to be honest. 
I settled back into work far easier than I expected.  I think it is down to my wonderful colleagues who have been totally amazing in every way.  And the teacher I am working with is fabulous xxx (Cheers Gwyneth)

Wednesday 2nd March
Happy Birthday Dad/Grandad Richard xxx
On Wednesday Ben stepped up a gear, things seem to just click for him.  His balance is wonderful alot more straight, he has always in the past not been able to keep his back in line with his leg but today he did without prompting!  He can also do sit to stand without support and lock his knees, this to Ben is Huge progress – one very happy mummy.

Thursday 3rd March
Thursday’s excitement was the arrival of the physio ball.  I am always on the lookout for items or equipment that can make physio a little more interesting for Ben. The ball certainly did the trick.  It is such a simple thing but has so many exercises that he can do and that he seems to really enjoy (so far).  I was a little worried about the lack of strength in Ben’s ankles – he has never had any strength in his ankles but he did not seem to be making any progress & I was worried.  Of course all his physio’s put my mind a rest and told me what we could do to help him gain strength in his ankles.  He is desperate to move down to the smaller splints but I am reluctant to do it until he is really really ready for it.
I have been speaking to a magazine about a possible story on Ben Journey; I will keep you posted on any developments.


Look how tall & straight he is!



Friday 4th March
Thank goodness it’s Friday, it’s been a busy week one way and another.  I have managed to get out for 2 runs this week which I hope I will continue to do now I have a few spare hours in the day.  I had a meeting with a teacher at Ben’s school about his residential trip to Ingleborough Hall next month.  It’s a 5 day trip & there were a few things we needed to check, but it’s all looking good, & he is SO excited.  Ben had physio in school time today & I managed to see Anna before she left & said he again has made huge progress this week.  Ben is doing so well although we are having a few problems with his splints – I am hoping to get it sorted next week, but having said that he still is taking it all in his ‘stride’ 
He really is one truly amazing young man







The 'New' Mr & Mrs Smithson


The Smithson Men & boys!!



Saturday 4th March

Uncle Adam & Auntie Katie’s Wedding Day ‘Take 2’
The boys woke very excited this morning; they have never been to a wedding before.  Actually Jacob went to Auntie Em’s when he was 8 weeks old but he obviously doesn’t remember it.  Ben’s physio Laura was coming early today as we needed to be ready & off just after lunch.  Ben laughed through the whole session today a worked so very hard doing exercises he has never done before – Thanks to ‘Bob’ the physio ball.  Then it was a quick lunch bath & get ready for the wedding. 
It was such a lovely day, the boys were so well behaved and look great in their suits!!!  Katie looked beautiful in her dress & Adam look ok too!!! We managed to get a picture of all of us together look smart. It was just amazing – Damo took the boys off at tea time to meet Auntie Em, as she was very kindly looking after them for us so we could go to the evening do child free.  In the evening we again had a wonderful time; it was so lovely to be able to share the celebrations with them.  








Charlotte xx

No comments:

Post a Comment