Monday 18 April 2011

Ben's Big Adventure...............

Sunday 10th April
The boys were with Grandma Steph & Grandad Richard today as we were not due back from Newcastle until late in the afternoon.  Their day was a busy one first they went for lunch at the Anchor Inn, they had fun playing in the play area.  Next it was off to see Grandma & Grandad’s new house.  The boys loved the garden although Jacob did say it was a bit boring as they didn’t have any toys!! They have not moved in yet as they are ‘remodelling’ it! They watched some model aeroplanes on the field across the road.  They had a lucky day as the weather was glorious.  Before long they arrived home tired and excited to tell all their tales of the day.  So it was baths & early bed for us all.




Monday 11th April ~ The Adventure starts here!!!!
Ben was very excited about his school trip today although he was not meeting up with his friends until 4pm this afternoon.  So he spent the morning with Grandad Rob, watching TV & playing on the Wii.  At Lunchtime I came home so we went out to Pizza Express for lunch together which was lovely. Then a quick hair before heading home to make sure everything was packed and we were off.  Grandad Richard was our chauffeur for the day so it was a long slow journey but we got there in plenty of time.  Ben was feeling excited but a little nervous – as soon as we saw all his friends he was off no looking back and no bye mum!!! What more can I say.  So I safely handed him over to the teaching staff and we were off. I was one very proud Mum.

Over to Ben now...
After I arrived we went to our dorms, I was with Alexander downstairs, and my dorm was called ‘Swinstoe’.  We had to unpack and then we went down for tea.  In the evening we wrote our diary & we had tuck shop then we went out to play in the grounds of the Hall.  At 8:30pm it was time to get our PJ’s on and listen to the wonderful Mr Marsh tell his world famous rendition of ‘Water Ship Down’.  We had hot chocolate & a biscuit then teeth brushed & light out at 10:30pm....

Tuesday 12th April
The bell rang at 7am we had to get up dressed and ready to go to breakfast by 8am.  The breakfast was amazing cereal, toast and even sausage & bacon my favourite.  After breakfast it was off to the field study room to find out what was happening today.  My first activity was Tree Climbing!  Yes I managed with a little help from Jonathan.  It was a bit high and scary but I did it.  Next was going to the show cave.  I was in my wheelchair as it was a little far for me to walk.  The cave was cold, wet & scary.  I really enjoyed learning all about the cave & ‘Gapping Gill’.  Watch out for the Witches Finger if you every get chance to go.....  I finish all my film in my camera so I tried to find the other one but guess what Mum had not put it in my bag – Great!!!
The evening was the same as last night – by bed time I was feeling tried but had had one great day what would I be doing tomorrow!!!

Wednesday 13th April
We woke again the 7am bell, it was a little harder to get up this morning as we were both a little tired but the breakfast was worth getting up for.  Today‘s activities were Caving & Village Study.  We had to get waterproof gear on for caving and get in the mini bus to travel up to the cave.  Valley Entrance was our cave today.  I felt a little bit worried as I have never been caving before but I was also a little excited.  I had the best time ever, I even managed to get ALL my clothes soaking wet through – good job mum was not here to see it!!  Once back at the Hall it was a quick shower & change for off to the next activity.  The village study next, we had questions we need to get answered and we needed it interview local people to help us.  We even met an author Robert Bullock which was exciting & I got his autograph.  In the evening we played out on the wonderful grounds at the Hall. 


Thursday 14th April
Well another day of exciting things to see & do.  On todays list Gorge Scrambling, Tree Climbing & Orienteering. It was just another day of fun & games.  I really enjoyed climbing up the rocks when we went Gorge Scrambling or George Strangling as we liked to call it. I was on to my second round of Tree Climbing; I was starting to get really good at it.  In the evening we learnt Country Dancing, we even had to dance with girls which was pretty embarrassing take it from me.  That evening Mr Marsh finished reading Water Ship Down.


Friday 15th April ~ Our Last Day
I was a little bit sad this morning as I knew it was our last day and then we would be heading home L.  It was again Tree Climbing this morning I was getting even better that they gave me the nick name of ‘Flaming Eagle’ because when you have finished climbing up the tree you then jump off (attached to a harness, so I was safe) and land down on the ground.  I had so much fun doing this.  After lunch we got on the coach and headed home, we did stop off at the Falconry Centre which was amazing. We got to see lots of different birds including a hood eagle that flew over our heads & I even got to hold Barney the Barn owl on my arm (with a glove on) that was just the best.  Then it was back on the coach to head back home.
Ingleborough Hall was my first every school residential trip, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and had an amazing time – Can’t wait for Robin Wood next year!!!
Ben J

The coach arrived at 4:15pm, I have to say I have really missed Ben this week, yes he has been away for a week before without us but this time we had no contact with him.  I watched him walk down the coach steps looking happy but very tired I have to admit I cried (much to Ben’s disgust!) I think I was just so relived he had a good time and he was home safely.  His support assistant Mrs Fox came up to me and told me how proud she was of him and we should be, I told her that goes without saying.  The first thing Ben said to me what ‘Why did you put the other camera in I ran out of pictures on Tuesday’ so no I missed you then!!!  I will post his pictures (if they are suitable) on here once they are developed – old style!!!!

Saturday 16th April
Ben was absolutely shattered after his full on week of activities.  He still had his aqua therapy session & his first proper physio session in a week to contend with but we thought he would manage it.  He ended up having an extra 20 minutes of Aqua therapy as it was quiet and they had a cancellation.  But by the time he came home I could till he was exhausted but Laura was due to arrive soon for physio.  Ben was not very focused and found it hard – It was good to see that he was still able to do all his stretches and Laura said that he had not lost any strength he had before he had gain it.  He has been so active while away he has been exercising and not knowing!


Ben has yet again shown us just how amazing he is this week – just a little while ago before SDR we thought that he would only manage a couple of days at Ingleborough but Ben being Ben (and the wonderful support from his school) managed all 5 day.  I can’t put into words how so very proud of him we are he is one determined young man who is truly AMAZING x







Charlotte & Ben xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment